Students have the opportunity to enter the Scholastic Arts awards

Mackenzie Olsommer, Sports Editor

The Scholastic Arts and Writing program will be having their annual arts and writing awards this year. All artists within the school district have the opportunity to submit their work. 

There are numerous awards that can be received. Some examples are the “Best-in-Grade Award” or the “Portfolio Award.” Scholarships are also awarded. 

The artwork is first judged at the regional level. The Delaware Valley School District participates in the northeast region and the judging takes place at the Everhart Museum in Scranton. In the region, students can win the gold, silver and honorable mention awards. Any student that wins the gold award will continue onto the national level. The gold and silver winners will also have their work displayed in the museum. 

The students that continue onto Nationals will be honored at Carnegie Hall. 

Any student who wins a gold medal at Nationals will have the honor of their work being displayed in New York City and the student and their art teacher will be invited to see a surprise guest speaker. 

The art teachers are allowed to choose about 10 pieces of artwork they believe may have a chance to win and enter them through the school budget. If more students do choose to enter their work, they have to pay seven dollars per entry. 

More information can be found on the Scholastic Arts and Writing website: artandwriting.org. Students can also see their art teacher for any questions.