The Student News Site of Delaware Valley High School

Del.Aware

Issue 6 Distribution on April 18

Del.Aware

Del.Aware

Del.Aware

FBLA members teach middle schoolers importance of American Enterprise

During the week of Nov. 15, the Delaware Valley FBLA officers celebrated American Enterprise Day by teaching middle school students what American Enterprise is. 

The week kicked off with the student taking a pretest on American Enterprise. Officers then presented an overview of American Enterprise and handed out booklets with activities for the students to do. 

The project highlighted the skills needed to get a job within the American enterprise system, notably how to create a resume and job interview etiquette. 

“I believe this is important because the job application process is something that pretty much everybody goes through, regardless of whatever they choose to be in the future,” FBLA secretary Queenie Yang said. 

As the week led up to American Enterprise Day, the students worked on fine tuning their resumes and did mock interviews. The top three interviewees from each class came to the high school and were interviewed by Delaware Valley business CTE teacher Mr. Jeff Luhrs on American Enterprise Day.   

“Most middle schoolers in PA will eventually find a job within a year or two of turning 14, so it is important to give the best preparation to these students so that they can be successful within the coming years,” FBLA member Bennett Nielsen said. 

Between the pre-assessment and post-assessment, the results showed a great growth of knowledge for the students. 

“I really feel that the students have learned a lot in the small amount of time we spent with them to teach American Enterprise,” Yang said. “Everything went smoothly and the pre-assessment and post-assessment results were incredible and showed a positive increase in their knowledge.” 

The hope for these lessons is that the students carry what they were taught into their professional lives and helps to bring them out of their comfort zones. 

“I hope that going through this project has a long lasting impact on the students in their ability to conduct themselves in interviews and apply for jobs, even if they’re not the most confident or outgoing person,” Yang said.