The Student News Site of Delaware Valley High School

Del.Aware

Issue 6 Distribution on April 18

Del.Aware

Del.Aware

Del.Aware

Peace Studies students ask questions at women’s roundtable event

On March 14, Mr. Tyler Barnett hosted a roundtable for his Peace Studies classes to coincide with their women’s empowerment unit in class. 

The eight guests in attendance were school police officer Amanda Boyd, administrators Dr. Nicole Cosentino and Ms. Jessica Hubal, Hon. Cristin Cavallaro, social studies teacher Mrs. Marielle Cohen and seniors Elizabeth Gruodis, Hallie Balogh and Autumn Vanhorn. 

Questions were prepared by Peace Studies students, and Mr. Barnett hand picked the ones who stood out most to be asked at the assembly. 

The questions asked were about the women’s jobs, families, schedules and advice from them regarding their specific jobs or expertise. 

Administrators Dr. Cosentino and Ms. Hubal were asked questions specifically regarding how they balance not only being in an administrative position but also teaching a class on top of their other responsibilities. 

Questions pointed toward Hon. Cavallaro were more focused about struggles she may have faced being a woman in the justice system and the responsibilities she shoulders regarding cases she has to decide. 

Mrs. Cohen was a Division 1 athlete in college and talked about her experience as a woman in such a coveted sports position and struggles she faced. 

The students who were involved in the roundtable were asked about balancing their specialties with their high school careers. 

Elizabeth was asked about being in the Building CTE and her future in plumbing and trade school. Co-authors Hallie and Autumn discussed their books and their plans regarding not only their writing careers but also their passion for screenwriting and hopes to turn their books into a television show. 

Guests were given gifts such as small chocolates and flowers after the assembly as an extra show of appreciation from the students.