The Student News Site of Delaware Valley High School

Del.Aware

Issue 6 Distribution on April 18

Del.Aware

Del.Aware

Del.Aware

Mock Trial team places fourth in latest tournament

The Mock Trial team placed fourth at Pocono Mountain West High School in the Monroe County Bar Association Mock Trial Invitational Tournament.
Photo by Olivia Van Tassell

The Mock Trial team placed fourth out of 13 teams in the Monroe County Bar Association Mock Trial Invitational Tournament at Pocono Mountain West High School on Nov. 18. 

They had two teams compete, and to win the tournament one team had to go undefeated. Team one defeated three other schools but lost to Palmerton Area High School by 1.5 points, causing them to lose the tournament.

Four participants in the trials won awards. Junior Owen Carso won best lawyer in the morning session, and senior Hallie Balogh placed second for best lawyer in the afternoon session. 

Senior Chris Cassidy placed second for best witness in the afternoon session, and senior Samara Garcia placed third for best witness in the afternoon session. 

“She (Garcia) even purposely cried on command during a part, she was just a great actor,” Mock Trial adviser Mr. Tom Bailer said.

For their case they had to prove that the defendant kidnapped somebody, put them in the trunk of a car and tried to get a ransom. Both teams had to argue both sides of the case, prosecution and defense. 

“They worked very hard, and I was very proud,” Mr. Bailer said. 

The next competition is the Pennsylvania Bar Association State Mock Trial Tournament in February.