The Student News Site of Delaware Valley High School

Del.Aware

Issue 6 Distribution on April 18

Del.Aware

Del.Aware

Del.Aware

Ozempic drug leads to increased fertility

With the rising popularity of Ozempic drugs,  another side effect besides weight loss has emerged. Women report pregnancy after use of the drug, calling the fetuses “Ozempic babies.”

Ozempic was initially approved for use to control Type 2 Diabetes by supporting significant weight loss. Now, the drug is more widespread and prescribed “off-label” as a weight loss aid.

The drug works increasing insulin production in the pancreas and stopping excess sugar production in the liver. This process has led to much success in reigning Type 2 Diabetes.

After the weight loss side effect was observed the company Novo Nordisk developed a type of Ozempic called Wegovy, which is specifically designed only to cause weight loss. Other companies followed this idea.

An Alabama woman, Catera Bentley, was informed by her doctor that she would not be able to have children when she was diagnosed with polycystic ovary syndrome. Bentley began taking Mounjaro, an Ozempic drug, to support her weight loss journey. After a few months, she lost 40 pounds and her menstrual cycle returned to normal cycle. This change gave Bentley hope that she would be able to conceive.

After becoming pregnant, Bentley was concerned about the effects Ozempic would have on her child.

Due to the way these drugs work, doctors say it is likely that Ozempic leads to more pregnancies, and there should be caution when using the drug during early pregnancy. Dr. Jody Dushay said that women should stop using the drug two months before trying to get pregnant.