Several wrestlers move on to state competition

Sophomore Olivia Montanino is the first female wrestler from DV to become a regional champion.

On March 5, the girls wrestling team competed in the Northwest Regional Tournament at Milton High School in Central Pennsylvania. There were 30 teams that competed at this tournament, and the Warriors came in second place. There were six wrestlers who qualified for a spot at States. 

The five state qualifiers are seniors Sarah Seltzer and Aylssa Jones and sophomores Andrea Boronow, Juliet Fitzpatrick, Victoria Depew and Olivia Montanino.

Many accomplishments were made recently by several Warriors. Seltzer won her 50th match against Easton, and she also earned her 50th pin in the tournament on March 5. Montanino made DV history, as she is the first female wrestler from the school to become a regional champion. 

“She did great,” said head coach Evan Bates.

According to coach Bates, Boronow had an excellent performance in the tournament. He described her as a “dark horse” who performed very well in order to earn her state qualification. 

As the season for team play comes to a close, coach Bates said that he is very proud of how the girls have come together as not only a team but as a family throughout the season. 

“Every individual win felt like a team win for them,” coach Bates said. “Even when they lost, everyone would encourage each other to keep their heads up. One of the best things was to see them grow as people, as well.” 

Now with over 100 schools participating, the PIAA has started the process of voting girls wrestling to be an official league sport.