The Student News Site of Delaware Valley High School

Del.Aware

Issue 6 Distribution on April 18

Del.Aware

Del.Aware

Del.Aware

Special Olympics unites community, provides day of fun

The 15th annual Special Olympics was held on May 9, providing an opportunity for those with special needs to compete in a variety of track and field events. 

Two hundred eighteen participants from Delaware Valley, Wallenpaupack, North Pocono, Western Wayne and Wayne Highlands, as well as adults from Devereaux and PCDC’s day programs, attended to compete.

Special Olympics was made possible by people from all over the community. Local businesses donated food for lunch, 25 vendors were part of the resource fair, the Westfall ambulance crew was available in case of injury and a variety of teachers and students volunteered. 

“Special Olympics is the best day of the year,” Supervisor of Special Education Mrs. Cheryl Nielsen said. “It brings genuine joy and happiness to all involved. You can see it in the smiles on everyone’s face.” 

According to multiple volunteers, the day is extremely rewarding in seeing the athletes’ pure excitement. 

“I’ve volunteered at the Special Olympics for the past four years, and the organization has truly made an impact on my life,” senior Mackenzie Donald said. “I think there’s something really special about this organization’s ability to bring people together for a good cause.”