The Student News Site of Delaware Valley High School

Del.Aware

Issue 6 Distribution on April 18

Del.Aware

Del.Aware

Del.Aware

TikTok ban: a global debate

The debate surrounding TikTok’s presence in global markets centers primarily on two key issues: data privacy and national security. Some critics argue that TikTok, owned by the Chinese company ByteDance, may be subject to Chinese government influence and could potentially misuse their user data. These concerns have led several countries, including India and the United States, to consider putting limitations on the app or banning it altogether.

In June 2020, India banned TikTok and several other Chinese-owned apps during escalating tensions between the two countries. The ban resulted in a significant decrease to TikTok’s audience, as India was one of its largest markets, with over 200 million users. The move underscored the growing unease among policymakers about the influence of Chinese tech companies and how they handle user data.

During Donald Trump’s presidency, his administration raised alarms about TikTok’s potential threat to national security, with the major fear being that the Chinese government could access user data collected by the app. As a result, the administration wanted to ban TikTok from U.S. app stores and attempted to force its sale to American companies. This led to TikTok fighting the ban in court, as losing their U.S. audience would also cause a huge loss for the company.

In response to these potential bans, TikTok has taken steps to address concerns over data privacy and security. The company has implemented measures such as data localization, where user data is only stored within the country it was created in, and increased transparency regarding its content policies. Additionally, TikTok has formed advisory councils and committees composed of independent experts to provide insight and guidance on issues related to safety and security.

The TikTok ban represents the ongoing conflict surrounding data privacy, national security and the influence of technology on policy making. 

As policymakers and investors in the company navigate this dispute, finding a balance between protecting user data and seeing where technology shapes society will be a major part of TikTok’s ability to be downloaded in the United States and in many other countries.