The Student News Site of Delaware Valley High School

Del.Aware

Issue 6 Distribution on April 18

Del.Aware

Del.Aware

Del.Aware

Aiden Black signed to Stanford for football

Senior Aiden Black accepted a full ride scholarship to play Division 1 football at Stanford University.

Black started playing football when he was just six years old, and it has been his favorite sport since then. Black says he loves the sport because of the teamwork, the friendships that are made and the physical contact.

“I just love the comradery of the sport and the bonds that you can build with your teammates,” Black said. “And obviously, I love hitting people.”

Black has worked all his life to be a D1 football player. Through all the good and all the bad, he  kept going to live his dream. It was the adversity he has faced and the hours he has spent working on his craft that would shape him to be where he is today. 

“I’ve worked my whole life for this and have had to deal with a lot of doubt and hate, but you gotta just keep going,” Black said. “Putting the time in, especially when you don’t want to, is truly the key to be successful.”

From catching an 80-yard touchdown pass his freshman year to beating Whitehall in the first round of States his senior year, Black gained many memories playing high school football. In his high school career, he became a three-time All State player, was selected for the Big 33 game and won multiple offensive MVP awards from head football coach, Keith Olsommer.

When it came down to it, Black’s top schools were Duke, Tulane, Syracuse, James-Madison and  Stanford. What would separate Stanford from any other college that gave Aiden the opportunity to play Division 1 football was the visit. He enjoyed the hospitality and had a great time meeting the players and coaches.

“Going out there was probably the biggest thing,” Black said. “Meeting those athletes, coaches, other guys who were coming out there and committing is really what did it for me.” 

Aiden plans to major in political science during his time at Stanford and will pursue a career in either public policy or law. He will be playing tight end for the Stanford Football Team.